The New Year has blown in, bringing with it the tenth anniversary of the HGCA and lots of upcoming news.
We have two pots of funding to for local people and groups to deliver ’10th Anniversary’ community projects. If you have interest in any of the following, then please do step forward- drop an email or a DM.
We will post more details on all of these projects over the weekend.
* Ten new street trees for Hither Green! If you voted in the tree survey run by Lucy, Stephanie and Justin last year keep watch for news as we will be working with Lewisham to plant trees in the top 10 most popular sites provided they are adopted and cared for by local residents. It’s been a highly successful scheme in Brockley and will run here in the year to Spring 2019.
* A new community orchard with 10 new fruit trees for Manor Park which we hope many locals will help plant and enjoy.
* Ten fruit tees and wildlife planting on the Springbank and Fernbrook Road embankments.
* Big changes for the award winning Springbank Road Community Garden- we’ll need keen volunteers.
* A Spring Tea Party for the Over 60s- we’ll need hosts, entertainers and lifts for our guests.
* A new campaign to push Hither Green Station up the Access for All station Retrofitting list. THis community needs lifts and suitable ramps and not in 2024. We’ll need experienced campaigners and fierce letter writers. There is LOTS more to come on this.
* A big new community noticeboard for the train station.New arrangements for getting your posters up will be published too.
* A bigger and better Hither Green summer Festival with great opportunities for local residents and businesses to run their own events and be included in the Festival Programme (12,000 copies). This years Arts and Music Fringe at The Arts Cafe with be brilliant. A call has already gone out for artists to register with the cafe! And if you are a performer start sending in your Soundcloud and Youtube links.
* We are inviting Lewisham Good Gym to do a BIG 10th anniversary Festival Good Deed. So if your school games cupboard needs a tidy, your scout hall needs painting or a residential home needs a new garden planted- please get in touch. The group of 25- 30 only work on Monday evenings after 7 and have approximate 40 minutes to complete a task. (they can be persuaded do two weeks!)
If you are looking for ways big and small to contribute to your neighbourhood- then let this be the year to step forward. No long meetings or never-ending committements, but one-off tasks and oppprtunities to share your skills.
Local residents are still joining together after 10 years ago to provide opportunities to volunteers, do goo and have fun! Let’s have a brilliant 2018- together!