This past Sunday, Bishop Christopher of Southwark joined the congregation and Sir Steve Bullock to launch the new roof renovation works and the new St Mary’s Heritage app. You may have noticed the scaffolding and platforms are up at St Mary’s Church in Lewisham/ Ladywell. There has been Church on the site of St Mary’s for a thousand years. The discovery of ‘The Lady Well’ further increased its local importance. The current Church tower is medieval and the main body of St Mary’s Church turns 240 next year. Its continuity of use as a place of worship and parish administrative hub means it’s an immensely treasured building.
Work is underway to repair the first and bLink to the new St Mary’s Heritage App.iggest of its 6 roofs.
The roofs are failing due to sheer age of the slates, but also the increasing severity of storms mean the church guttering, hoppers and downpipes can longer cope with the volume of water. Rainwater has long been soaking into the body of the church, rotting ancient timbers, destroying plaster.
Works are being supported and funded in part by English Heritage, The Lottery Heritage fund and The Worshipful Company of Leathersellers, a Livery Company of the City of London which has enjoyed a close relationship with the church for 400 years. The Church will be remaining open through out its roof works which are scheduled to finish next spring. After the gutters are widened, the church body will take a year to dry out.
- Etching of St Mary’s Church- The external appearance of the present church dates largely from 1777 when it was rebuilt by local architect George Gibson.
- A plaque in tribute to the life of Madam Colfe, wealthy wife of Abraham Colfe who was a local benefactor, nurse and midwife.
- The Church Nave from the West Door.
- View of the roof works.