Lee Greens are a new community Veg Box Scheme, and they ‘go live’ this spring. We believe in making the most of vegetables that are in season and so to celebrate our imminent launch, we’ve added a delicious family recipe.
Sweeten up your dinners… the healthy way!
With its orange-flesh and often irregular shape, the sweet potato is one of nature’s greatest gifts. Many people think of sweet potatoes as being nothing more than plain old potatoes with a bit of extra flavour but research shows that sweet potatoes have many nutritional benefits to offer. They are rich in fibre, full of vitamin A, C and B6. This excellent source of carbohydrate is incredibly versatile and this is their peak season to be bought, eaten and enjoyed.
Sweet potato & bean quesadillas
They can be baked, roasted or mashed, added to risotto, pasta or curry. We’ve shared one of our favourite recipes with you below, that makes a perfect lunch or dinner – for adults and children!
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 1 hour
4 sweet potatoes
200g block feta cheese, crumbled
8 flour tortillas
half a cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pierce the potatoes a few times each and put on the baking tray. (If you’re in a hurry, cook for approx. 10 mins in the microwave or boil on the hob). Leave aside to cool.
- Remove the sweet potato flesh from the skins and pop into a bowl. Mash and season with salt and pepper. Gentle fold in the feta cheese – try not to break up the feta too much.
- Heat a griddle pan. If you don’t have a griddle pan, you can use a frying pan, you just won’t get the chargrilled effect.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture over half of each tortilla and top with the black beans. Fold the other side of the tortilla over. Cook on the griddle pan for 3 mins each side.
- Cut the tortilla into wedges, serve and enjoy.
Serve with a lettuce, corn and avocado salad.