Letter from Mayor Steve Bullock
From October there will be big changes to your rubbish and recycling services.
Free weekly food waste collections
We are going to start recycling your food waste. From October we will be introducing free weekly food waste collections. This change is for people who live in a house, or a fiat in a converted house. If you live in a block of flats there will be no change.
What happens next
• Before the service starts we will deliver your new outdoor food waste bin and indoor kitchen caddy. The outdoor bin is about 41 cm tall and the kitchen caddy is 21 cm tall.
• We will also give you some free biodegradable kitchen caddy liners to help you get started.
• Please don’t start using your new food waste bin until the service starts in October.
This new weekly service is totally free.
Fortnightly black bin collections
From October your black bin will be emptied every two weeks. Your black bin is for rubbish that can’t be recycled in your green bin or food waste bin.
Currently 38% of rubbish in black bins is food waste. If you use your food waste bin and recycling bin you can put less in your black bin. A few properties on red routes will still get a weekly collection. There will be no change if you live in a block of flats.
Find out more
• Your food waste bin and caddy will come with more information about the changes. This will include instructions on how to use the new service and a calendar of collection dates for you to pull out and keep.
• Visit www.lewisham.gov.uk/binchanges to find out your new collection day.
Questions and answers
What about recycling and garden waste?
• We will still collect your recycling every week Check www.lewisham.gov.uk/recyclable to make sure you’re getting the most from your recycling bin.
• If you are a garden waste subscriber, your collections will still be weekly, but you’ collection day may change. We will tell you nearer the time if your collection day is changing.
• You can sign up for weekly garden waste collections until April 2018 for E60 at www.lewisham.gov.uk/join.
When are the changes happening?
The new services will start in the week beginning 2 October.
When will my collection day be?
• We will deliver a calendar of your collection dates with your food waste bin and caddy before October.
• You can check your new collection day now at www.lewisham.gov.uk/binchanges.
Why are rubbish and recycling collections changing?
1. To increase recycling rates: when we recycle we use fewer natural resources, which helps the environment.
2. To save the Council money: by introducing food waste recycling and making rubbish collections fortnightly, we could save £500,000 a year.
3. To respond to your feedback: in our 2015 consultation, 67% of residents asked for a food waste service and 94% thought it was important to recycle more.
Find out more
• Your food waste bin and kitchen caddy will come with more information about the changes.
This will include instructions on how to use the new service and a calendar of collection dates for you to pull out and keep.
• Visit www.lewisham.gov.uk/binchanges to find out when your new collection day is going to be.
Sir Steve Bullock, Mayor of Lewisham