A fresh blended drink maintains its total fibre content and is, as such more filling.
Use a selection of fresh fruit eg bananas, pear; the fewer ‘bits’ the better. Ie use fresh orange juice, over orange segments, because of the pith (unless using a high-powered blender eg. Vita-Mix.
Vary the ingredients, add herbal root powders (optional) and enjoy fresh each morning (or for convenience, prepare the previous day and store chilled overnight.)
- Protein powders to add in to a Smoothie – eg. Sun Warrior Blend with added Pea & Hemp seed Protein is Whey-free (dairy) and a little goes a long way.
- Add a tsp of Cacao or cocoa powder for a chocolate blend.
- A 1\4 tsp of any ground spice or herbal superfood powders eg. cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, maca, carob.
1. Blend all your chosen ingredients together in a blender \ liquidiser jug, until light, frothy and creamy.
2. For added creaminess, add a fresh nut or seed milk (preferably) or chose from many of the carton dairy-free brands in Alpro Almond or Hazelnut Milk.
Theresa Webb BA.DipNT. is a qualified, experienced local Naturopathic Nutritionist with a clinic space held at Blackheath and Holborn (+ she offers home visits).
For a FREE 15 min consult on any of health-related issues contained in this article, please contact Theresa through our website www.kitchenbuddy.eu
Follow her popular blog www.theresawebb.wordpress.com